Saturday 30 September 2017

The Dressmaker's Cottage: The Sewing Room Roof & Front Awning

Time for the sewing room bump-out roof.

Caroline lined her roof with popsicle sticks, so I did the same using the balsa wood ECObalsa Basics Sticks from Spotlight (the same sticks I used for the floors).




Once finished, I sanded it lightly, checked the fit, and white-washed it with diluted Titanium White acrylic paint.




I finished the inside front wall of the sewing room with stippled on Jo Sonja Texture Paste (the same as the exterior sides of the dormer windows) to mimic plaster.




Looking good so far:-)




Like the roof of the dormer windows, I made the faux metal sheeting for the roof from cereal box cardboard overlaid with thin strips to mimic the joints.





Another strip of cardboard was used for the roof capping.

Here you can also see that I have started to make the timber skirting for the base.  I found a 2.4m piece of moulding at Bunnings which is 27mm wide, to match the depth of the foam base (which is approximately one inch).  I am mitering the corners, and will putty them and then paint it to match the cottage.




At this point I wanted to see where the awning over the front door would go, to make sure it wouldn't impact on the roof, so I cut a piece of board to size and mocked up a couple of brackets.




I think that's going to look good, so I don't need to worry about it until I finish the roof now :-)




I will paint the roof the same way as I did the roof on the two dormer windows.  Here is the sewing room roof, waiting for the first (under)coat of grey paint to dry.





When it's dry, I will highlight it with silver and off-white (Semco Antique White) acrylic paints.

No comments:

Post a Comment