Friday 15 November 2013

The Fairfield: Windows

I think I spent almost a whole day yesterday - on and off - trying to decide which windows to buy for the rest of the build. I have the three timber Victorian single windows and the two French Doors, which are all now stained and waxed (although I have not added the mullions to the French doors yet), and these will all go on the second floor.  The French doors will be 1) off the bedroom over the bay window with a Juliet balcony and 2) off the "other" room (which is generally used as a bathroom in other builds) and onto the main balcony (ie the roof of the porch). I was going to turn this room into a servant's bedroom but I think I may remove the dividing wall now and make it a sitting area with weapons and armour and such.

I couldn't decide what to do about the double windows on the first floor though. Most other people opting for the half scale Victorian windows have just swapped out the double windows for two singles - because Houseworks don't make double windows at half scale - but I didn't really like that for some reason.  But making the kit windows from scratch scared me, so I wanted to put in pre-made windows... but couldn't find what I wanted.

I finally found these Georgian style doubles at Maple Street in the UK. They seem to be unavailable everywhere else so I presume they have been discontinued. I ordered three from the website, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they email to tell me that they are out of stock!  In which case, I will have to give in and buy more single Victorian windows.





In all my browsing looking at windows on other minis, I came across several houses with aged stone finishes and fell in love!  The look really appealed to me, though I doubt I have the artistic skill to carry off painting the effect successfully :(  In the end I decided that I'd like to make the turret section of the house out of 'stone', to make a real feature of it.  If that works OK I'll consider doing that on  the rest of the house.  Not sure yet if I will go with the egg carton method or opt for the (much more expensive) mortar and stencil approach. Either way, I had already decided to do the base and porch in flagstones, so will carry that same finish up the turret. I may also make the verandah post supports out of stone too, and finish them off on top with a dowel?  A bit like this verandah:





Nevertheless, in my searching I also came across these plastic Grandt Line Gothic windows.  Wouldn't they look great in the second floor of the turret? With little narrow arrow-slit windows in the secret room instead of the round portholes.
 



The main issues with these Gothic windows is that they are plastic instead of timber, so they can't be stained to match the other windows. If they are only in the stone turret however, I can probably get away with just painting them to blend in with the stone? Hmn.  Anyway, I've ordered a couple from the US and we'll see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment