Saturday 16 June 2018

Hufflepuff Roombox: A pause in proceedings, a project for me!

So it was my birthday last week and I decided that since it was a wet and gloomy week, I should take a quick-and-dirty detour from working on the Dressmaker's Cottage and make something for me!

Some time ago I stumbled across this video on Youtube by The Hollycopter and being a Hufflepuff - as are two of my 3 daughters - I fell in love with it and bought the same roombox kit on eBay! I believe it is from Cuteroom, and called "The Heart of the Ocean".

This is the picture on the box, and yes, the instructions are all in Japanese (?), but there are pictures :-)
 


This is the beginning; the floor and wall covered...The holes are for the music box and the light.




Constructing the bed and linen... I found the fabric via the link in the video and printed it out on the printer fabric The Hollycopter recommended.  I cropped the fabric sample to make the cushions, rug and curtains.




Here's the obligatory owl!  She is from Alpha Stamps, and I bought the cage on eBay.  I'm not sure if I like the white cage it not, I might paint it.




The room is starting to come together.




Better! I painted the furniture and window frames with Jo Sonja wood stain gel in Jacobean Oak and  lightly sanded them lightly to add texture. Then I dabbed the sanded areas with Tim Holtz Distress Paint in Walnut Stain.






As I mentioned before, I printed out the curtains on printer fabric using my inkjet printer.  I pinned the folds and set it with hairspray - forgetting that I had not set the ink on the fabric and it ran everywhere when the fabric got wet!!  Fortunately, it just faded it a little, which adds to the effect I was going for ;-) Phew!




A little suitcase made from a printie I found on Pinterest.




A quill made from paper, the ink pot is a bead and the envelopes are printies.




Newspapers and potion bottles made from beads.





The curtains in place, hung on stained toothpick "rods", with ties and tassels made from thread.



A Madrake poster and the light fitting made from beads and wire.  No matter what I do I can't make the LED light bulb work - I am pretty sure the battery pack that came with the kit is broken as I tried it with two sets of new batteries and on two spare LEDs and couldn't make any of them work.  So sad :(  New battery packs are inexpensive, I will just have to wait until my next mini order.




I played with Sculpey for the first time and made a couple of tiny candles, and this Harry Potter plant!  It is supposed to be my take on Neville's Mimbulus mimbultonia plant :-)




I think nearly everything is done now, except for making a blanket for the bed (because comfy), then  it is getting the time to put it all together!

2 comments:

  1. What a neat way to use that kit. It will make me look at them differently as a peruse eBay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and yes I had never looked twice at these kits before I saw one modified :-)

      Delete