Thursday 21 June 2018

Hufflepuff Roombox Finished

Yay, the Hufflepuff Roombox is finished!  I'm pretty pleased with how it all came together and it was a good learning experience for making a lot of the pieces.

The kit comes with pieces of perspex to make a dust cover which is great, as dusting these tiny pieces would be annoying, lol.


















I printed the fabric for the bed cover, chair cushions, bed cushions, rug and curtains on special paper-backed fabric designed for ink jet printers.  The curtain tie backs and tassels are made from gold thread, and the bed throw is a tiny piece of fabric.












I did decide that I wasn't fond of the white bird cage as it was difficult to see the owl inside, so I painted it with Tim Holtz Distress Paint in Tarnished Brass.








I made the candles from Sculpey, my first ever attempt.  I also made the green ear muffs (for using when repotting mandrakes!) from Sculpey and wire.  The envelopes are printies, as is the quill, the Weasley Wizards candy box and the Mandrake poster. The ink pot is a bead, and I bought the 1:24 scale crystal ball online.




When I glued the pieces of the desk hutch together, I must have bumped it before it dried completely, as it is slightly wonky.  So I did what all good students do when they have a wobbly desk - I stuck a copy of The Quibbler under the leg!!  Worked perfectly :D




The potion bottles are made from plastic beads and I made the text books and scrolls from printies.





Just for my own future reference, the books I made for the bookshelf include Hogwarts: A History,  Advanced Potion Making, Ancient Runes Made Easy, Unfogging the Future, The Hairy Heart, When Muggles Attack, Defence Against the Dark Arts, A History of Magic, Easy Spells to Fool Muggles, Which Owl?, Owl Breeds, Gilderoy Lockhart's Magical Me, Winogrand's Wondrous Water Plants and  - of course! - Newt Scammander's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.




The recipe sheet on the desk is too small to read, but it is for Polyjuice Potion.  The mortar and pestle and wand I bought online.  The basket on the shelf to the left contains Dragon Eggs!






I also made the potted plant - my version of Neville Longbottom's Mimbulus mimbletonia -  out of Sculpey and painted it.  The pot came with the kit.









I made the plant from pieces in the kit - it is supposed to look like the flowers have eyes, lol.




The little suitcase under the desk is a printie.




All in all, it was pretty fun!!

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done! Your innovative and well placed accessories all add to the general ambience and tell the story!

    ReplyDelete