Thursday 23 August 2018

The Dressmaker's Cottage: the last additions!

The very last things I needed to do to the Dressmaker's Cottage before decorating were to finish all the curtains, painting the furniture, and installing the lights.

I was stalling on the curtains for weeks as I didn't have anything suitable in my stash.  Eventually, I buckled down and found a piece of pink lace from an old slip, and ordered two more blinds from Etsy.

 Bedroom dormer window, three layers of lace glued to a small piece of card:



 Bedroom window blind (Mini Maison Miniatures):







Kitchen blind (Mini Maison Miniatures):



Once the blinds were done I moved on to finishing up the furniture.  The bed and wardrobe were both bare wood, so I painted them with an undercoat of pink, followed by crackle glaze and a white top coat.

The hat stand, ironing board, pie crust side table and bookshelf were mahogany but they needed the shabby treatment, so they got an undercoat of grey and then a top coat of white, before they were lightly distressed with sandpaper.





I decided to add pretty paper to the inside and outside of the wardrobe, and I replaced the handles with crystal knobs.






Finally, I decided to add battery lights as they are so simple and easy to install!  The sewing room got a chandelier, and the kitchen a textured dome shade, and I was pretty happy with those so I ordered a wall lamp for the bathroom, and table lamp for the bedroom and a floor lamp for the sitting room.








Ta da! Everything in the house!  I'll do a pictorial review tomorrow to look at everything properly.




2 comments:

  1. The house is so artfully done, love the papers, the textures, the colors and the furnishings. Just a beautiful place to look at and daydream a while!

    ReplyDelete