Friday 29 August 2014

The Base Day Two

The glue I did yesterday seems to have held up well after drying overnight, so I took the tape off and glued the remaining pieces on, under both the bay windows. They are now taped up and drying too. It's been so wet in the past couple of days that I should probably leave it all to dry thoroughly for a couple of days before I handle it too much.


The base pieces under the bay windows glued and taped.

While it is drying I need to make some final decisions about how I want to finish it. I have been wanting to do some sort of faux stonework on it, and I've seen some great tutorials using egg cartons. I can't decide whether to go with random, crazy-paving style or a more formal, chunky cinder-block style.

Random stonework foundation

Formal stonework foundation

I think perhaps the former type is easier and more forgiving for a beginner, but I cant help thinking that on a grand house such as this, the latter would be more appropriate? I want to add moss which would soften the formality of the latter, and I really like the different colours of the stones used in the bottom photo, above.



Whatever I do, I am also thinking of carrying it up onto the porch posts, as in the house above, and perhaps also the whole way up the tower, instead of cladding. I guess doing the narrow base first will help me decide whether I could cope with the work involved, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment