Thursday 28 August 2014

The Fairfield: Construction Step One



There are many recommendations on how to proceed with kit building on the internet, but like any project, I think you have to find someone your thoughts gel with and just go with them, otherwise you can end up way too confused. I've decided to follow the recommendations and experience of Gina at More Minis who not only has a heap of kits under her belt, but has also built the Fairfield kit, twice.

I've read through the instructions and her construction guides, and although I much prefer doing all the same tasks as the same time - it's more efficient - I will follow her recommendation for beginners to keep everything together in the box so that I can find and identify the pieces more easily as I go along. I had to clean off my craft table for a birthday party so I set it all up there.

The first thing Gina recommends to do is to sand the timber to ensure that it is smooth, with no splinters etc, especially on the tabs.  Although there is sandpaper included in the kit, she used a finer grit paper, so I used the 400 grit I have in my stash, and that seems to work really well.

I labelled and then popped out all the base pieces and sanded them. I read on many sites that these die-cut kits are very splintery, and they are right! I almost feel I have to wear gloves because I kept getting little splinters in my fingers. Anyway, once I got them all sanded and sorted out, I started glueing.

Main base glued

I'm using masking tape and old Aquadhere wood glue so I hope they both work OK! I got about half way around before deciding to leave it all to dry overnight. I'll assess it all in the morning, and then keep going if it looks solid. Sheet 7, which contained the little pieces the base sits on, seems to be a little warped and I was worried about lining it all up but with the glue and masking tape keeping it in line, it seems it will be OK thankfully.


It's so nice to have actually made a start after all this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment