Thursday 28 August 2014

The Fairfield: Weathering Windows & Doors

I'm still nervous about starting "proper" construction, so as I mentioned in my last post, I decided to do some work on the windows and doors while I pluck up my courage.

Interior doors, weathered and stained, waiting to be varnished.

I took a wire brush to the interior doors, front door and the windows I've already painted. Then I sanded back the interior doors so that most of the black paint was removed, leaving it in the cracks and deep sections.

Single sash window, weathered.


Then I watered down some more Wenge stain, and painted the new double sash windows, and the sanded interior doors. I wiped the stain down off the doors almost immediately, as I want to build up some layers of patina.  They look pretty good already I have to say. They need a little polish though, so I will wait for them to dry properly and then coat them with some matte varnish, and see how they come up.

Double sash window, stained, waiting for painting, weathering and varnishing.


I also painted the stain over the older, painted windows, where the wire brush removed bits of paint on the exterior. I'm also fairly pleased with how they look too - dark and worn. I was hoping to not have to paint the new windows but looking at the contrast between the stained and painted windows, I will definitely have to so that they blend together. I will have to wait for them to dry completely now and then paint them black... and then sand /wire brush them!

No comments:

Post a Comment