Sunday 22 October 2017

The Mini Mausoleum: Part 2

After the texture paste dried on the exterior of the mausoleum, it was time to paint it!  I still haven't glued the roof pieces on, so I can get access to the inside.

I used a combination of my model paints on the exterior, starting with the darkest greys and working up to a dry-brushed coat of off-white.

Here you can see it before the final highlighting. From memory, the paints I used were mainly Vallejo Gunmetal Grey, Cold Grey and Coldmetal Grey, with Bone White as the highlighter.



To the roof tiles, I added highlighting with Bone White and Sap Green, to mimic moss.  I also ended up adding raw earth and sap green to the bottoms of the walls to mimic dirt and moss, although it hard to see in the photos.












After painting, I decided to add some stone-effect paper to the flooring and walls of the interior.   I was going to try stenciling with paperclay, but eventually decided that with the doors on, you wouldn't be able to see it clearly enough to make the effort worthwhile :-)






I really love the wood cross. It is 1:12 scale, but looks good as an oversize wall piece in the 1:48 scale Mausoleum.  It was from Ryan's Realm.







 For a bit of fun, I added a tiny rubber snake from a Lemax Spooky Town collection, and a cross from a model train scale box of figures I had bought for my terrarium.




Next up, it was time for the front doors.  I used the piece of board which had I popped out from the doorway on the front wall of the kit. I cut it in half, scored lines to indicate boards, and painted and weathered it. The paint was predominantly Jo Sonja Raw Earth, with a bit of Sap Green at the bottom.




I used a black acrylic wash over the paint, and when it was dry I added door handles.  I used two jump rings from my stash of jewellery findings, and attached them using thin strips of cardboard folded in half and glued to the door.  When the glue dried, I gently dabbed on Tim Holtz distressing ink in Tarnished Brass.




The doors in place, below.  It's been hard to get good photos with all the overcast days we've been having :(








And here's a pic with the front two turrets in place.  I can't decide if I want the turrets or not, which is why I haven't painted them yet?





No comments:

Post a Comment