Wednesday 6 September 2017

The Dressmaker's Cottage: The Beginning

Hi peeps!  I've been having a mini-break, lol.  I know I haven't yet finished the ModPod, but it's my middle daughter's 14th birthday next month, and although my kids have a dollhouse made by my Father-in-law when they were little, I'd love for her to have her own dollhouse to use to display collector's miniatures which are not for playing with ;-)

Now that I have increased my confidence in scratch-building with the ModPod, I would love to have a go at a "traditional" house in 1:12 scale.  I have long admired the shabby chic-style houses built by Cinderella Moments, so when I found a couple of posts on her blog outlining a tutorial for building a cottage, I was thrilled!

So, I have decided to make my take on her tutorial.  Like the ModPod, I will be building it out of foam board  rather then timber, just because I don't have the space or tools required to cut up sheets of timber and plywood!

I worked out rough dimensions first and then starting cutting into the A2 sheets of 5mm foam board I had leftover from the ModPod.




First, the base, with reinforcement underneath.  I will cover this with timber trim around the outer edges when I am finished.




The onto the outer walls.  It will be two storeys high, although the top floors will be like an attic space under the eaves.  There will be a kitchen, lounge, sewing room with a bathroom and bedroom upstairs.  Rear view:



Front view:



The flat space at the front will be a courtyard garden, with French doors leading into the cottage :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment