Monday 25 September 2017

The Dressmaker's Cottage: Upstairs Trim & The Stairs

Today I finished white-washing the beadboard upstairs, and then trimmed out the top with 2.5 x 2.5mm balsa sticks.

Then I undercoated the stairs (I bought a pre-made set online) and popped them in to see how they looked in place :-)





Then I moved on to the skirting boards, using skinny popsicle sticks (Skinny Craft Sticks from Riot Art - these are 5mm wide unlike regular pop sticks, which are 10mm wide), painted white, and with the round ends cut off. 




The stair set I bought was quite plain, and I felt I needed to fancy it up a bit to fit in with the shabby chic look!  I painted it with several shades of white and blue, then sanded it roughly to age them (although that doesn't show up very clearly in the photo).




I then used small pieces of 2.5 x 2.5mm balsa sticks, cut in half, to add a bit of dimension to the edge of each step.




Lastly, after asking for suggestions on Instagram, I remembered I had a cheap wooden fan I bought to use for miniatures in my stash.  I cut up several of the pieces to make small imitation moulding for each stair end. 









When they are painted painted and roughly sanded, I think they will add a nice touch to the house :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment