Friday 6 May 2016

The Bunker: Brickwork Beginnings

I finally got a chance to start on the brickwork on the facade this week.  I still haven't glued all the trim on yet as I needed a trip to the hardware store for materials to make a bending jig, but I got impatient and started anyway.


Half the trim glued on and the brickwork started


I also dashed into Bunnings yesterday and grabbed an inexpensive piece of balsa wood to make my bending jig, so I have the first two pieces of trim in it drying out.  I simply soaked the balsa sticks in water and then heated them (still in the water) in the microwave for a couple of minutes to make them pliable (although I still managed to crack one of them slightly while I was bending it).

Once dry I will treat them the same as the other trim pieces: First a coat of Jo Sonja texture paste stippled on, then sponging on black acrylic paint followed immediately with antique white, to form various shades of grey. When it was dry, I dry brushed the pieces with antique white.  I will age them further when I am finished painting the brickwork.

The front entrance surround

No comments:

Post a Comment