Thursday 22 June 2017

Mod Pod: The Roof

As I have mentioned in a previous post, I knew I wanted to install ceiling lights in the ModPod, and I figured the easiest way to do that was to create a false roof over the ceiling to hide the wiring.  You can the ceiling as it was, below.




The first thing I did was to find some more foamboard to create the roof.  This time I used thinner, 3mm foam core board from my stash.  I considered just painting it black, but I liked the thought of using something that looks a little more industrial, to go with the converted shipping container feel of the Pod.




I knew I had some A5 sheets of corrugated cardboard in the craft stash, so I painted four of them black to match the Pod.









When they dried, I glued them onto the 3mm pieces of foam board I used for the roof, which sits on top of the wiring.  I now needed a frame to keep the roof on the Pod like a "lid" (so that I can still gain access to the lights if required), to cover up the gap at the front between the ceiling and the roof, and to cover the joins between the pieces of corrugated cardboard.









I covered the joins with strips of 2.5mm x 2.5mm balsa wood, and made the outside frame from "L" shaped angle timber (from the local hobby shop).




Now painted black, it's starting to look more like a roof!




A little bit of balsa wood trim along the front...





 And voila!  Roof done :-) 

Pretty happy with it so far.  I think once I get the glazing on, especially the sliding 'glass' doors I am planning for the front, it will look pretty cool (if I do say so myself, lol).

No comments:

Post a Comment