Friday 9 June 2017

The ModPod: the beginning

So, I have two mini WIPS but I haven't been working on my minis for one reason or another for over a year now.  Mostly because we moved around a few sections of our real-life house, and then painted and did some minor renovations, during which my minis were buried behind other furniture, and my yarn stash was exposed for all to see! Feeling guilty, I have been merrily knitting and crocheting for the past 6 months or so, trying to run my stash down a little, but now I feel inspired again to dig out my mini tools.

Since a) A lot of my stuff in still difficult to access, and b) I have been recently drooling over some super cool modern miniatures (chairs especially!), I decided over the weekend to make a small 1:12 scale "pod" house, based on the trend for small, prefabricated or shipping container-style homes.  I know it's been used frequently elsewhere, but I am going to call my build the ModPod!

I had two A2 sized sheets of 5mm foam core which I could easily access, so I used those as my base. I cut one into a section 8 inches wide, which I used as the base, leaving the other section approximately 8.5" wide and 23.5" long, which I used as the rear wall.

 I then cut two side walls out of the second piece of foam board, and the roof.  The front of the Pod will be windows and sliding doors.




I decided to add some narrow slit windows in the rear wall and one side:








And a narrow wall between what will be the bedroom on the left end, and the kitchen in the middle.  I cut it out of 1mm foam core board which I also had on hand.







Now I have begun gluing the frame together.  Next I will be cladding the exterior!

No comments:

Post a Comment