Monday 22 December 2014

The Fairfield: Foyer Floor Feature

I want to get the floor feature in the foyer done before the tower walls go up, so that it is easy to dry fit and play with it to get the fit right.  I looked at various parquetry patterns and tiles, but decided in the end that I really liked the anti-possession symbol from the TV show Supernatural.



I started by trimming a piece of balsa wood to shape (actually, the piece I had was slightly too narrow, so I has to cut a little extra piece for the back wall, but I hope it won't be too noticeable once it is finished.

I then used a compass to score the circles in the pattern, and then drew the sun and pentagram freehand.  The symbol in the show is made from brass, set into a dark timber floor. To try and replicate this, I scored board marks into the balsa wood, and coloured the symbol in with a gold marker.

Initial symbol
I tried it in place. The piece of balsa wood wasn't wide enough to extend through the doorway, but I think I will place a piece of faux tile here, with more symbols on it, similar to the tiles between the doorways in the Men of Letters bunker on the show.




I then applied the first coat of Walnut stain.  The gold marker was dulled down to a reasonable-looking brass colour which I was happy with.  I did however want the floor to be a darker colour through using black paint washes, so I added another layer of gold marker to the symbol and let it dry before applying the first wash.

After coat of Walnut stain
The colour wasn't deep enough and I didn't think that a black wenge wash would make it dark enough, so I just painted the wenge stain straight over the top and rubbed it off gently after a minute. I love the final colour, it has a nice glow.  I redid the gold marker over the top and then sealed it with Mod Podge.

In real life the gold feature is a more subdued bronze, which is what I wanted. It turned out quite well I think.

Finished floor

No comments:

Post a Comment