Wednesday 24 December 2014

The Fairfield: Lighting & The Secret Room

I decided it was time to put some more thought into the lighting since I need to put in the channels for the wiring before I do any more wallpapering or flooring. I drilled holes for the lights in the foyer, lounge room, work room and the hallway lights, and started making channels in the floors and walls to feed the wiring into the hollow chimney. It's not very easy I must say - I need to find the small, pointy-ended file I have misplaced, as I think it will do a better job than the Stanley knife I have been using.

Being Christmas Eve, and having almost everything organised (yay me!), I had time to send a lot of the day pottering away on little things for the house.  I wallpapered two of the secret tower room walls - I used this paper, which I think looks suitably old and grubby:


I did some painting too. I undercoated a few pieces and the new front door and round windows, painted the ceilings in the foyer and kitchen - which I totally forgot to do before I glued in the first floor - and the back of the stairs (which I also should have done before I glued it in; live and learn).

I also punched out the pieces for the bay windows ready for prep work, and then I started playing around with the roof around the library area - before the attic floor goes in, I need to decide if and how much of the floor I will cut out to create the double height space.  I was going to add a lot of details to the ceiling, in terms of exposed beams etc, but I forgot that there is a section of roof on the back side too, which will obscure a lot of that work. Hmn.

No comments:

Post a Comment