Thursday 15 January 2015

The Fairfield: Kitchen

I found the spare door I had prepared some months ago when I was looking for door casings and decided I may still use it in the kitchen, despite the space under the stairs ending up much narrower than I had originally thought.  I cut down the casing on one side and whittled some off the other side and found I could make it fit under the stairs.

Basement/ Dungeon door in kitchen
I'm not sure though if the stained wood suits the kitchen? I'm thinking maybe painting it and weathering it some more, or perhaps using crackle medium on it underneath a coat of dirty white paint?  Now I need to close in the space above the door before I decide on the wall treatment in the kitchen. I saw some terrific plaster-textured wallpaper in a blog post somewhere but I haven't been able to find it in 24th scale, so I will probably go back to my original thought, which is to Mod Podge tissue onto the walls to add a rough texture, and then paint white over the top before aging the cornices and corners.

Kitchen so far. Much work to do.


 One of the other things in the order I received yesterday was a piece of "worn flagstone" flooring paper. It was inexpensive, so I bought one for the kitchen floor, just to see what it would be like. It's actually not too bad, although of course it has no texture. It's a bit pale for my liking so I am thinking of perhaps giving it a dirty paint wash. Then if I seal it, I may be able to emboss it along the joints of the flagstones to give it some light texture? Nothing venture, nothing gained! If that is successful I could use the offcuts for the two Juliet balconies.

In other news, I think I may have found some affordable and NICE small laser-cut brackets for use under the eaves, on Etsy. Hooray! I will have to dry-fit the roof now so that I can double check the size of the brackets I will need. I am going to trim the edge of the roof in several spots so that I can fit an eave and brackets, which I think will look much nicer than the original eaves. I am certainly not going to use the brackets which are included with the kit, as they are really quite awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment