Saturday 26 March 2016

The Fairfield: Attic and balconies

I grouted the chimney today after sealing it yesterday. I tinted it with a little grey paint and it doesn't look too bad, although I need to give it another clean with a damp sponge to remove the rest of the spackle from the stones now that I look at it more closely!




The I moved onto the balconies. I added trimming strips and painted them, and the plastic railing (to take the gloss off the plastic).  I'm still not a all thrilled with the style of the railing, but beggars can't be choosers, so I'm stuck with it for the moment. Using the trim strips means it isn't glued in, so perhaps I can upgrade it in the future if I ever find anything nice in 1:24 scale.


Front (bedroom) balcony

Just for fun I then glued some eave brackets onto the front balcony to see how they looked.  I'm unsure if I want to add more across the front or not?  Either way, I have ordered more, so I should have more than enough when they arrive.





Side (library) balcony


I decided I didn't like the brown paint on the attic end walls when it had dried, so I figured I would make up extra grout and use it as plaster instead, the same as in the kitchen.  I added extra grey paint to the grout (spackle mix) I used for the chimney and painted it on. It looks rather Tudor now against the timber, lol. I will age it with some paint washes later, and it suits the Gothic window, so I am happy with it.


Front wall

Back wall



It all looks very clean for a supposedly old, haunted attic, ha ha.

I also grabbed the porch posts which were sitting on top of a box of bits and pieces, and cut them to size for the verandah.






That let me take the measurements for porch brackets. Since I had to order more eave brackets, I decided to buy some porch brackets and gable ends as well. I would have liked longer brackets to make them stretch from one post to the next, but the ones I have ordered should look OK. I tried to tie them in with the balcony railing, although it will be interesting to see how they look!  In contrast, they look nothing like the gable ends I ordered! Ha, I had the choice of one adjustable or one end of the correct size and pitch, so I ordered three of the latter. Meh.  Half scale is convenient size-wise BUT it is difficult to source components that are as nice as those in regular scale.

Speaking if which, I need to do something about the railing on the top of the porch. The plastic rail I have for the balconies is way too big, I need something about half that size.  At this point I am just tempted to put the kit roof on it!

And I haven't decided how to finish the porch floor. More thought required.

No comments:

Post a Comment