Friday 25 March 2016

The Fairfield: Attic Work

Today I sealed the chimney with Mod Podge, and added strips of basswood to the rear of the attic roof and stained them.  I am debating whether to add horizontal strips as well? I think I like it as it is at the moment - I can always add them later.

I'm going to have to address this piece of wall where I has to prize the cladding off. It's painted so I can't stain it to match the roof without sanding the paint off - which would be a pain in the proverbial. I might have to insert a small strip of 1mm basswood and stain it to match. I have small sections of stripwood to glue onto it to match into the roof strips.




I then started to trim bits off the wall cladding to make the roof pieces fit together tightly - an issue when the roof pieces are a little warped by now. There is a big gap between the bottom of the two rear roof pieces (rear when you are looking at the back of the house). The gap in the photo looks bigger than it is because I haven't pushed the top piece as close as it can get.  I *really* don't know what I am going to do about that because the walls are stained!  I guess a piece of 90' corner angle will cover it up? And then stain it to match the wall...




I then went over the scored lines on the library ceiling with black marker to make them more pronounced, which worked reasonably well. I also stained the eaves to darken the scored "board" edges and take away the raw wood look I was worried about yesterday. Much better!




I sanded the wood putty on the balconies and painted the end walls of the attic Burnt Umber (over the black undercoat). I'm not sure how it will look when it is dry but I can't stain them like the rear wall as I had previously undercoated them in black. I thought maybe the brown would tie them into the rear section if I add strips over the top?

No comments:

Post a Comment