Wednesday 23 March 2016

The Fairfield: Chimney

So today I finished the egg carton stonework on the chimney - it's FAR from perfect, but I have decided that there is no point in being stuck on this project for fear of making a mistake, because the first time for everything is always a learning experience.  I am considering a couple of small chimney pots for the top?

The glue is drying and next time I work on it, I will get the base coats of paint done so that I can concentrate on getting the roof on.




There is so much to do in terms of little fiddly things, so I worked pretty consistently for a couple of hours on a few things.  I glued the trim to the third gable edges, fixed and puttied the tower wall where I had to prise the siding off because I had forgotten it is part of the attic wall.

I also puttied the edges of the roof pieces and around the attic windows, scored the boards that will show under the eaves and applied black wax to those edges to fill in the raw wood colour of the marks from being scored. I also tried the black wax on the attic roof, but it didn't work as well as I had hoped. It filled in every grain line, instead of just the scored marks so I've lost the "boards" on that section - I left it as it in the library roof section. It still looks OK, so I am not worried.

Just to see what it looks like, I popped out the internal frame pieces of the tower roof and inserted them into the roof floor. Ideally I would still like it to be higher, but for now, I just want to get the rest of the roof on.

So, the plan at the moment is:
  1. Paint the chimney.
  2. Glue the roof on.
  3. Guttering.
  4. Add the corbels.
  5. Tile the roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment