Monday 25 May 2015

The Fairfield: Exterior Paint & Chimney

Well, I got to the craft store on the weekend and although the usual brand of paint I buy didn't have any shades of suitable reds in stock (nearly all the reds were gone, how odd), I did find a Semco Tuscan Red which I thought might be acceptable.

After one thin coat over the black undercoat, I was a bit worried as it looked a little too bright for my liking, but once it had dried I was sold! It dried to a nice barn red, which I think will look great with the black trim.  I've used a mini chisel to go over the first coat and weather it lightly (sandpaper seems to just sand out the bumps of the siding planks). Later, I will paint it with crackle glaze medium and paint the final coat of red. It is quite a thin acrylic paint so I don't envisage the final coat completely covering the black undercoat, but I think that will look OK. I plan on adding lots of (dead?) ivy over the house, and some brown (dirt) washes, moss etc too, which will cover up a fair bit of it anyway.

First coat of red paint. Crackle glaze & a second coat to come.


Also, I finally decided to add rock to the chimney, rather than bricks. Cutting tiny 24th scale bricks seemed tedious, and I doubt my ability to lay them straight anyway, plus I figured rock would look more sinister in dark the attic. I started gluing the egg carton "rocks" on this morning. 


No comments:

Post a Comment