Thursday 14 May 2015

The Fairfield: Kitchen III

Update on the kitchen plaster: one coat wasn't enough to cover the walls properly, so I painted another, thicker coat of spackle/paint mix over the top and it looks pretty good. I'm satisfied with it anyway, considering most of it will be covered up anyway with the oven, sink and various bits and bobs.

As you can see, it's a bit rough and ready above the door, so I will sand that bit back a little. I won't add the timber framework around the window arch which came with the kit - I will leave it as bare plaster.

Kitchen "plastered".


 I hadn't considered the joints between the bay window and the wall however, so once I was satisfied with the finish inside the bay window, I glued it to the main wall, and painted over the joins with the spackle/paint mix. While I had the house on it's side and the bay weighted down, I also glued on the siding, so it would also be weighted down while it dries.


Kitchen bay window in place and plastered.

I bought a piece of worn flagstone paper to use on the floor, hoping that I could somehow emboss the grouting and make it look more three-dimensional, but now that I've looked at it, I'm not sure if that's possible. It's such a tiny room though, and so much will be covered by the work table, that I'm not sure if it's worth the effort of making my own flagstones? Hmn...

I had to go back and check what my lighting schedule was as I couldn't remember what I had decided to use in the kitchen. I will put the two single candle sticks in there, so I won't need a hole in the ceiling after all, although I will need to work out where I will feed the wire through for the candles. I've already fitted the double wall sconces in the bedroom and the library, which were on my list of things to do. Now I need to fit the lamps in the living room and study - the other lights will have to wait until the attic floor is in place.




No comments:

Post a Comment