Sunday 17 May 2015

The Fairfield: I played "chicken"...

...with the siding. And I lost :(


Over the last couple of days, I finished wallpapering the Library and both sides of the library dividing wall, and wallpapered the Work Room, using the Acorn paper. I only just had enough to do two and a half walls, so the fireplace wall is bare and I'll need to do something about that when I do the fireplace and mantel.

Then, I started on the siding. First, I cut and glued siding to most of the work room/office outside (back) wall. The thin siding definitely wants to lift up, even using Super-Tac glue, so it definitely needs weighting while it dries.

Yesterday I started on the siding on the kitchen/ library (left) wall. I did the main part of the wall, and today I filled in the sides of the bay window. At that point I had only three full sheets of siding left and some scraps!! Panic time.

I moved onto fitting and gluing on the return of the rear gable wall, and then left front wall and I made a start on the left hand side of the tower. At that point, I had two full sheets and some tiny scraps. Eeek!

I think I had originally planned to add fish scale shingles to the gable ends, so maybe that's why I haven't got as much as I thought I had, as I have continued the siding all the way up the gable ends.  I will add heaps of trim to make it less plain, although I am not a big fan of gingerbread, so it will likely be fairly formal-looking.

Anyway, today I started on the front gable wall, and got as far as the facade and the sides of the bay window, with just enough to do a little more of the left tower wall, before I ran out :( Pooh!  I'll need at least two more sheets, three or four to be on the safe side, so at least I'm not half of one sheet short, which would be seriously annoying, lol. Ah well, I guess I will start on the undercoating of the rest of the siding when the glue dries, while I wait a few weeks for my order to come in.

The left hand side kitchen/ library wall siding finished.


The front wall siding in progress. I need to finish the front of the bay window.


The rear wall siding and return finished. This was my first wall and you can see where I stuffed up the first joint between the siding panels. Ooops! But that's why I started at the back!

Still to do is:
* the top strip of the left hand tower wall,
* the front bay window,
* the front tower wall,
* the right hand side and rear of the tower secret room, and
* the three tiny returns on the open walls.

Before I place my order I had better check how am I going to go with the corner trim - it would be incredibly annoying to run out of it after I receive the siding when postage is so expensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment