Sunday 27 October 2013

The Fairfield: First Components Arrive!

The components I ordered last week have arrived, and they are tiny. I can see I'm going to need a steady hand with these little babies.

I've got:
The front door - Houseworks Victorian Oval Door (#H6002)
 

One interior door - Houseworks 6 panel (#H6007):

 

Three windows - Houseworks Victorian Windows (#H5042):



And one packet of porch spindles - Houseworks #H7009 (They didn't have the rails or posts in stock).


I really wanted to get different doors for the bedroom and library but I then realised that the ceilings are too low to allow for them which is a pity. So I've ordered another two interior doors the same as the one I got today.

Plus I have definitely decided to add a balcony to the second floor over the roof of the front porch.  In addition, I'm going to turn the double windows in the bedroom into a Juliet balcony.  Thus I have also ordered two French Doors, two more packets of porch spindles and handrails for the upstairs balcony, and a stair kit for the interior.

I had planned on having the Library in the second floor "front" room and the bedroom in the "back" room until I realised that the back room doesn't have a window. I could add one of course, but not having a window is an advantage when I want to fill the walls with bookshelves.

 I've also been Googling  many (many) images of Victorian houses and at that time, decoration was really a case of "the more the merrier" so I've been considering ways to add more character to the exterior. Weird bumps-outs and odd shapes seems to be the norm! Not so easy for me on my first venture though, but I thought that a little Juliet balcony with the compulsory pointy, black, Victorian iron-work fence around it would add a little more 'charm'.

It took me ages but I finally found someone online selling black (plastic) 'iron work' railings which I have ordered. I may substitute some of it for the railings on the main balcony too, but we'll see.




As for the rest of the windows in the house, I just can't decide whether to keep them as per the kit, swap them out for more Victorian windows (Houseworks don't appear to make the double sash Victorian windows in 1:24 scale which is annoying), or turn them into something else like bay windows.

Anyway, for now, it's onto the staining of the parts I do have!



No comments:

Post a Comment