Monday 28 October 2013

The Fairfield: Let the painting begin!

I couldn't decided whether I wanted to paint or stain the doors and windows, but when I remembered that I had a tube of wood stain gel in the garage, leftover from years ago, I thought I'd give it a go.  The colour is called "Wenge" which is so dark it's almost black - too dark for the project I bought it for which is why it was still sitting in the garage.



As it's a gel, it's very thick and the parts are very small, so I watered it down on a plate until it was a paintable consistency and used a carft brush to brush it on.  Then after 5-10 minutes I started gently rubbing it off to try and get an uneven, distressed finish.




As you can see, they still have a long way to go before they are finished!  At this point, I am loving the colour but I want to distress the finish more.  Two options are to 1) apply a crackle finish with paint (not sure which colour) or 2) wax the pieces to give more depth.

I am leaning towards black antiquing wax at this stage, as I think I would like the use the crackle medium on the siding paintwork.  Anyway, I've ordered some black furniture wax and I'll have a go on the interior door to see how it comes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment