Wednesday 16 October 2013

The Fairfield: Initial Thoughts

So, my initial thoughts after browsing many other people's versions of the Fairfield are:

1.  To replace - at a very minimum - the stair case with a pre-fabricated set. This is my first kit dollhouse and it seems a little past me to build my own from the teeny tiny parts, and make it look good.   Plus I really dislike the banister rails with the kit.

2. Replace the porch railing. Again, I don't like the one with the kit.

3. Replace the front door. Most people have also replaced the windows with pre-fab Houseworks windows, although on initial searching it seems like that is going to be an expensive option with eleven windows and two external doors. Still, they look much nicer and are no doubt easier to install.

4. I really like the look of the upper porch converted to a deck, if for no other reason than the opportunity for extra decorations and ornate railings. Haven't yet decided to do that or not. If I do, I will have French doors out onto the deck.

5. I don't like the fact that there is no staircase to the attic. Several people have added a second staircase above the first one, but I'd like my attic to be a little bit more dusty and creepy than standard, so it seems to me that the residents of my house wouldn't have a grand entrance to it.  I'm loving the idea of a rusty spiral staircase in the back of the house somewhere. Possibly up the centre of the turret?  Speaking of which:

6. I want a door to the secret turret room. Probably through a secret door, possibly an armoire/wardrobe, a la Narnia.

7. I want it electrified. That could be interesting as I've never done anything like that before! You can't set the mood properly without lighting though.

No comments:

Post a Comment