Sunday 20 October 2013

The Fairfield: Mood Board Exterior Colours

The ideas I have for exterior of the house are so far - pretty much - confined to "Victorian" and "distressed".  I want it to look very old, but can't decide on whether it should look forboding/ creepy or not. I know I don't want it to look like a Halloween caricature, which is making me very unsure about colours.

So far, I am thinking dark roof shingles (black? dark grey?) with moss, and light grey, aged shingles.  I would like it to look rather ramshackle but I don't if I have the skill to carry that off, e.g. broken porch railing, sagging roof tiles, peeling paint.

The only things I have decided upon is that there will be siding of some description, and I want the base to be faux stone, which I will make out of egg cartons or egg shells, which I will probably carry up onto the porch and the front steps. I also want gargoyles!

These are some of my inspiration pictures, from my Pinterest board.

Old, abandoned, faded:



 Awesome aging on the facade. Loving the arched Gothic window over the porch and the roof trim:




More awesome aging on the siding. Love the trim along the roof peak and turret:




Very weathered. Possibly too caricature-like for my liking, but I'm loving the dead tumbleweeds:




I love how the turret in the photo is slightly out of focus. Also love the ivy. Very similar to the Fairfield:



I will eventually landcape a little around the base, I've ordered a couple of small bare willow trees from the Lemax Spooky Town range and some headstones - I see maybe using one, half-buried an overgrown garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment