Tuesday 29 October 2013

The Fairfield: Thoughts on the Kitchen

I know I should be looking at building components and lighting before anything else, but I was browsing and I suddenly came across this:


...and my heart went BOOM! Love at first sight.

Seriously, how cool is this Braxton Payne Walk-in Colonial Oven?  It even comes with an option for "burning embers"!  Can't you just see my little cauldron hanging from one of the hooks? OK, so it isn't very Victorian, but it's my dollhouse and I think it's awesome ;-)

It's about 5 inches long though, so it is probably going to require some alterations to fit it in since one wall is a door and hallway, one is a window and the other is the stairs. I think at this stage I will omit the kitchen door, and add another window (two?) along the hallway so the front porch doesn't look so odd, and put the oven along the back wall where the door is supposed to go.

I was also vaguely considering putting in a bay window off the kitchen instead of the rectangular bump-out, but I think that would look pretty incongruous with the stone oven - back to the drawing board there.

I've also had the thought that I'd like to put a door on the 'pantry' under the back of the stairs, and make it look like the door to a cellar/ dungeon. To that effect I'd like to have opaque glass in the door and a yellowed light hanging inside... and a lock on the door ;-)  Creepy, n'est pas?  In order to do that though, I'm going to have to keep the wall next to the stairs, so that will probably mean narrowing the stair kit that I have ordered so that it fits into the existing stair space. Could be interesting! I might need some power tools.

The stove has also made me rethink the light I was considering for in here. I'm now thinking a lamp only with no overhead lighting? Maybe a candle or oil lamp on the mantle of the oven?  I'll have to give that some consideration.

In regards to a sink, I have fallen in love with these 1920's porcelain sinks, though sadly I can only find them in 1:12 scale so far :(  Phoenix Models does a stoneware sink kit which might be suitable, theme-wise, but it's not nearly as nice (and it depends on my painting too as it comes as bare metal).



Also loving this black rack, I can see it with copper pans hanging from it.



No comments:

Post a Comment