Tuesday 2 September 2014

The Base Day Five

When I got up this morning I realised that I had missed gluing rocks onto one tiny section of wall, so I had to do that first, before I could start painting again!  Then I did the first Model Colour Stone Grey wash over the rocks I glued on yesterday.


Foundation after the first couple of washes

After it had dried for a couple of hours, I did another wash, this time of Stone Grey with a drop of Model Colour Dark Grey mixed into it, dabbing off immediately with paper towel, the same as the previous coat.  Once it had dried a little I decided to start dry brushing. The first coat was Derivan Storm Grey, then I mixed a large drop of Jo Sonja Nimbus Grey into it and brushed on again. Then straight Nimbus Grey, then the Nimbus with a drop of Jo Sonja Carbon Black in it. Then another coat with more black, and another brush with the mixture after adding a drop of JS Raw Umber. Finally, I added a drop of JS Brown Earth and brushed it along the bottom.


Painting fnished
 
I can't say that my brush work is very good - I am certainly no artist! - but it is an improvement on plain egg carton. It's very dark now however, which is the look I was going for, but I'm wondering now if it is too dark? Looking at the photos now I almost think I prefer it in the first one. Meh. Isn't it always the way!  Anyway, I will leave it all to dry overnight, and then seal it with a couple of coats of matte Mod Podge tomorrow.  After all, I am trying to create a haunted house, not a pretty cottage :-)

While that is drying I will decide what to use for grouting the rocks (spackle applied with a syringe?), and what colour it should be. I was originally thinking dark grey, but now I think a light grey might set off the dark rocks better.

Once the grouting is done and dried, I would like to experiment a little with gluing some flock onto the rocks as moss. If I chicken out or it looks too dreadful, I may buy some green paint (how can I not have any in my stash?) and use that as a mossy wash.

Gosh, then I might actually be able to start on the house proper, lol!   

No comments:

Post a Comment