Thursday 11 September 2014

The Fairfield: Bits & Bobs

I mostly did little things today, like spackling, sanding and cutting out windows and doors.  Those arched windows are tough as I am cutting with a Stanley knife (since I don't have anything else).  I noticed that the Grandt Line windows are much thinner than the Houseworks windows, so there isn't any gap for the cladding to sit under. Nor are there any mouldings for the inside, so I'm not sure how I will finish them all off? Still, I think they will look nice.

The two Gothic windows in the tower.

French doors, attic windows and a double sash.


I also received a parcel in the mail from A Trifle Small in the UK. The recently offered a small discount of 5% off (it all adds up!), so I ordered a few small things - a couple of book cases, a weather vane kit, some dinosaur eggs and a basket, two tiny potion bottles and a kettle for the stove.

I am still debating about the tower windows, and the front door.  The space for the front door is much larger than the Houseworks door I have, which now seems a bit small. I'd like to replace it with something bigger, but I am already feeling guilty about not using the three Victorian windows I bought and spent time staining and weathering, let alone now not using the front door. Components in Australia aren't cheap and if I buy them overseas I still have to pay postage.  I really think that the tower windows need to be round though, so that they don't over whelm the arched windows below. I also wouldn't mind buying another Gothic window to cut down for the third attic window. Hmn.

Anyway, I will do another dry fit tomorrow, after I prepare the pieces for the bay windows, and see how it is all looking so far.  I think I may trim some of the bottoms off the exterior walls - I did all that work on the foundation stones and it seems such a pity to cover half of them up. I'm not sure why the walls come down so far - perhaps it is to add some stability when gluing them in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment