Thursday 4 September 2014

The Base Day Seven

After drying over night I did another dirty wash this morning, followed by dry brushing on some mixes of various green paints - Emerald Green, Sap Green and Pthalocyanine Green, plus a little Black in the last mix. After it had all dried, I brushed on one last wash of Burnt Umber. I don't know that the moss effect I was trying to achieve worked at all, but at this point I am reluctant to fluff about with the base too much more for fear of ruining what I've done so far!   I think I will seal it all with Mod Podge before going any further anyway, so that it's not knocked about during construction.


Finished except for sealing... I think!

In between washes I sealed the interior doors with matte Mod Podge, and did another coat of stain on the double sash windows, plus the first coat on the window surrounds, which I forgot to do last time.  I think the interior side of the windows is looking sufficiently mottled and worn to leave as-is after this coat dries, except for some touch-ups around the sliding window parts.  The exterior will, at this stage, be painted with crackle medium and then painted a dirty white.

I also sanded back the black paint from the interior of the single windows and the french doors and did two coats of stain wash. They won't exactly match the double window interiors, but I don't think it's going to worry me too much (plus I'm bored with fiddling with them).  I'm still trying to decide whether to use the tall arched Gothic windows on the tower or not. As they are styrene, not timber, they can't be stained. I will only use them if I end up doing stones on the tower, so I guess I can paint them black, or leave them grey. Although I found this house with arched windows and cladding. Hmn.



Tomorrow I will have no excuses to put off starting on the actual house :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment