Sunday 7 September 2014

The Fairfield: Staircase Part 2

Ermagherd, the staircase!  I spent hours fiddling and trying to work out the best way to put in a set of stairs that would fit the requirements I had for the space, but sadly my brain functions better than my hands, and the actual building part is beyond my experience.

So, in the end the staircase is going almost where it was originally meant to go, up the middle of the house.  I have modified it slightly in that I've pushed it back further so that the first step is in line with the lounge room doorway, not in front of it.  The hand rail protruding into the doorway annoyed me, plus as an added bonus, I now don't have to fiddle around with one at the bottom at all. I will run a handrail up one of the walls (I'll just glue it to the wall), but I haven't decided right or left yet.

View from the bottom of the stairs

From the lounge room


From the kitchen. I will add a "basement" door here and close in the wall above it.
Moving the stairs forwards means they arrive right at the door of the library/study, but I can live with that

I've trimmed up the wall piece in the kitchen and made a new hole at the top of the stairs, which I will tidy up in the near future.  I'm not totally satisfied with the outcome but I am happy to have finally decided what I am doing here so that I can move on to the next thing.

Now that I am definitely using the kit stairs, I've started staining them, and the rail etc. I have previously bought a red jacquard ribbon which will be used as a stair runner, so I don't need to do a prefect job on the staining.  Once the staining is done, I will glue on the ribbon and then add some wear along the treads, like this:



When I install the stairs, I must remember to add a small strip of basswood along the edges too, like you can see in the photo, just for a bit of authenticity.  I can't decide whether to add stair rails? Since you can't see many of the stairs it's probably not worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment