Tuesday 9 September 2014

The Fairfield: Wallpapering

I am contemplating beginning the wallpapering as I build, as areas such as the foyer and staircase walls will be difficult to reach afterwards.  I ordered papers last year, but I haven't enough yet for all the rooms; I haven't got any for the foyer, the kitchen or the 'great' room upstairs (I don't think there is enough of the black damask I am using on the hallway.

These are what I have so far:


Potions room (was dining room)





Library, or possibly Foyer




Hallways upstairs and downstairs.

Living Room

Bedroom
Sent by accident, but I may use it in the Foyer or Library

With the passing of time since I bought these, I'm no longer sure I actually like the first two!  I've no idea either what to put in the kitchen, especially with the stone fireplace in there.  Wallpaper doesn't seem appropriate with a huge stone grate, but I've no idea what alternative treatment to use. Batten and board is wrong too. I had a look at The Blogess' haunted house and she seems to have flagstones and  - what looks like - dirty stucco/ plaster on the walls of her ground floor potion/herbal room. I've seen stucco done on the outside of a house with glue and tissues, which looked pretty straight forward, maybe I could try that?

Also, since I ordered these last year, I forgot that there was a mix up with the order. In my original order I accidentally received four sheets of the last paper instead of the black damask. When she sent me the replacements, she accidentally sent 1:12 size instead of 1:24, but I couldn't be bothered getting it replaced again - primarily because the red version I ordered the damask is very, very faint and barely shows up in 1:24 scale :(   The damask on the 1:12 isn't *too* large so I may end up using it anyway.

Also, as an aside, I noticed that The Blogess hasn't worried about anything as mundane as bathrooms or kitchens either, and I guess as my house is also going to reflect my literary and film/TV loves, then I don't have to either, lol.  I'll leave those for my next project when I'll try to achieve some realism.

No comments:

Post a Comment