Monday 8 September 2014

The Fairfield: Staircase Part 3, Undercoating & Prep

I originally bought white paint to use for undercoating all the walls and floors, but since I want to put dark wallpaper over much of the interior, it seemed odd to use white paint underneath so I have left it until now.

I want to start wall papering the centre wall and foyer soon, so I had to do something, so I mixed up some Black and Burnt Sienna (about 1:2 ratio) into a very dark brown, and used it to undercoat all the interior walls, except the kitchen (which I will probably finish with white stucco), which I painted white.

I can't decide what colour to undercoat the exterior, but it will probably end being black, since I may use crackle glaze and paint white over the top of that, depending on how my trials go.


Undercoating on the central wall panel


I also did another coat of stain on the steps, and when it dried I sanded some areas and took the wire brush to them as well, to make them look a little worn, which will hopefully show through in some areas when I "wear through" the carpet runner.

Stairs, stained and sanded

I couldn't decide whether to use tacky glue or Mod Podge to apply the Jacquard ribbon I an using to replicate a stair runner. In the end I went with Mod Podge, but in hindsight, tacky glue would have been easier, with Mod Podge over the top to seal it.  Because the MP doesn't grab as quickly, the ribbon kept lifting on the tread underneath the one I was working on, when I pushed the ribbon into the crease (I used a paintbrush).

I hope that the sealing doesn't permanently darken the ribbon too much. You can see the end bit I haven't trimmed off yet in the photo and it's a pretty burgundy and gold. I would have darkened it a little to age it, but I don't want it so dark you can't see it!

I'm unsure as to the best way to weather the runner, without destroying the ribbon or making it look (too) amateurish. I am hoping that the MP will seal it enough to allow me to sand it lightly with fine grit sandpaper without it fraying (which would leave large, out-of-scale threads showing).

Stairs with ribbon glued on and drying before trimming and aging

No comments:

Post a Comment