Tuesday 9 September 2014

The Fairfield: Windows & Electrical Plan

I have yet to pop out any of the pieces of the frame for the windows because I haven't been able to make up my mind about using the Gothic windows. I mulled it over a lot last night whilst I  couldn't sleep, and (I think) I finally made a decision when I realised that I could probably cut the Victorian windows I have in half and use them for the secret room windows. Or I could cut down the Gothic windows too for that matter.  I have always disliked the round windows that come with the kit, but regular windows are all too tall for that room, and you can't buy half size Victorian Houseworks windows in 1:24 scale.  I think if I cut the bottom mantle off, shorten the sides and glue the mantle back on, they will look OK?

So for the moment, my layout looks like this:

Bottom Floor: Three double sash windows.

First floor: Two sets of French Doors, off bedroom and library. Two Gothic windows in tower.

Secret Room: Two cut down Gothic windows.

Attic: Two cut down Victorian windows on the front gable (above bedroom) and the rear gable above the study.  I wasn't going to put a window above the French doors in the library, but I will have one spare to put there if I decide to.

Experimenting with the Gothic windows

I hope I can manage to cut down the windows without butchering them! I'm a bit nervous.

Later:

I cut down one of the Gothic windows and it turned out OK, but the bad news is that it looks odd with the two bigger windows below it.  I will use them on the Attic windows now, but that means I still have to find windows for the secret room, as I think the cut down Victorian windows would also look odd. I may end up ordering two round Grandt Line windows which I didn't want to do. Anyway, I will think more on that when I get to that point.


Also at this point, before I begin wallpapering I need to work out where any electrical wires will go for lamps and light that aren't ceiling mounted.  They are - at this stage - the coach lamp at the front door; the wall-mounted single light in the foyer; the Tiffany lamp in the lounge room, the gas table lamp in the library; the single candle stick on the bedroom mantle; the single candlestick in the potion room;  the wall mounted single light in the upstairs hall; the 2 x double wall mounted lights in the study.

Current Lighting Schedule (subject to change):

Entry: Coach lamp on wall beside door. Run channel on wall inside.
Foyer: Chandelier
Lounge room:  Hanging Double light & flickering grate
Work Room:  Hanging gas lamp & single candle stick on mantle
Kitchen: Single candle stick, flickering coals. Run channels to ceiling.
Bedroom: Tiffany light & Tiffany lamp. Run channel to ceiling.
Study: Wall double lights x 2. Run channels across to chimney.
Library: Chandelier and gas table lamp
Hallway: Single wall lights x 2. Run channels to ceiling.
Attic: Bare bulb (a second one would be nice).

Obviously I am going to have to decide fairly early on where the table lamps and the kitchen candle stick are going to go permanently so I can run the wiring channels, but I'm not really going to be able to do that until I have the furniture for those rooms and have decided where they are going to be located. I can probably run them straight into the floor I guess, and across the ceiling underneath, which wouldn't interfere with wallpapering. Hmn.

No comments:

Post a Comment