Sunday 17 April 2016

Painting and gluing

After undercoating the exterior shell prices with grey acrylic, I decided to paint the windows with Semco Antique White craft paint. It's an off white with a hint of grey, and I plan to add some rust when I weather the exterior, as many of the industrial windows were steel frames.

Today I started gluing the exterior together.  I started with the "waterfall" rounded wall, and then glued the two right hand walls to the front base board. Then I moved onto gluing the first floor section to the inside of the waterfall wall, and then glued it, and the roof to the base board. I'll let that set up overnight and when I glue the front wall on as well, the facade will be together, yay.

I'm using Helmar's Tiger Grip, but I'm worried that perhaps I should have used Selley's Aquadhere, my general woodworking PVA glue?  I'm also concerned that the MDF will need a few tack nails to add enough stability to the joints so that they don't fall apart while I am handling the shell.  I don't have a vice so I have no idea how I will manage to do that without breaking the shell apart while I am hammering!  I guess I will wait and see how robust the joint is after 24 hours of setting.  As a newbie, it's hard to know which glue to go with, especially as the majority of dollhouse miniatures blogs I peruse are based in the US, and we don't have their usual brands here in Australia.




While waiting for the glue to set, I've been looking for some artworks for the Bunker library. I actually managed to find the map of the US used on the Supernatural set (the large, lighted one in the Crow's Nest) which I will use.

Many of the other photos and prints used on the set are difficult to discern from the photos I have seen, so I will use some random vintage photos I think.  I found a lovely old vintage map of Newcastle, where I live, which I will print out to scale and frame.  I also have some old black and white family photos I scanned years ago, I might find something suitable among those too.


Port of Newcastle



No comments:

Post a Comment