Thursday 21 April 2016

The Bunker: Thoughts on lighting

I've been thinking a lot about whether I want to electrify this house. It has quite deep rooms - with no windows once the facade is taken off - and it would be quite dark I think, without lights.  However, I found the 1:24 scale lights I used for my last build to be very fiddly and frustrating! They are easy enough to install, but putting the plugs back on the ends of the tiny, brittle wires drove me insane, and as a result, they are still sitting unfinished.

Besides which, there are very few commercially available lights in Art Deco style, and none that I liked in half scale.  So that leaves the option of making my own.  Small LED lights are relatively inexpensive and can be plugged into a small 3V battery pack which would be convenient as I wouldn't need a transformer and a power point nearby.  Also, the wires are much thinner and smaller and can be more easily hidden behind the false walls I plan to install.


Chip LED light kit for 3v battery


The problem is of course, that I have never made anything even remotely like a miniature light before, and I worry that my imagination outstrips my actual ability!  I guess it worst comes to worst, then I can leave them as "down lights".

I have very few pictures of the lights from the Supernatural set. There are Art Deco style pendant lights on the ceiling in the library, plus two different types of wall sconces, table lamps and downlights inside the top of the built-in bookcases.

One of the wall sconces in the library

The other rooms seem to be a combination of task lighting (desk and floor lamps) and wall sconces.  Anyway, I have ordered a few 1.8mm LEDs and a few LED chips from the US and I will see how I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment