Saturday 23 April 2016

The Bunker: Shell glued together

It's been a lovely lazy, overcast day here and so I pottered along with my Art Deco building.

I finished cutting the dividing wall between the kitchen and the store room and glued it in place, then glued the second floor on.  It was only when I went to glue the third floor wall and the roof on, that I noticed the huge mistake I've made!  Can you see it?  Yep, the two dividing wall on the first and second floors are in the wrong spot! Argh!

I measured the locations of these walls so carefully, and double checked that it was all OK - and I thought I had it marked which side of the line I was to glue the wall on... but OBVIOUSLY when I glued the bottom floor wall in place, I glued it on the wrong side of the pencil line.  I'm so cranky with myself.



It's not a lot out of alignment, and you can't see it from the outside of the house, but it hits me in the face every time I look at it. I couldn't move the top wall over to match because otherwise it wouldn't line up with the facade.  I tried gently removing the walls with out destroying them so I could glue them in again, but they weren't going to give without a fight!



Man! So annoying! And such a rookie mistake too. Ah well, chalk it up to experience.

Anyway, then I got to work on the facade again, and made up the extensions to go along the roof lines.  I have no idea what the technical name of these things are... Parapets?  I think the curved piece above the main tower is a pediment? Or are pediments only above windows? LOL.


I was pretty happy with how it turned out, it really adds to the character of the building.




The "lip" of the roof will be concrete, with bricks below and a railing around the outside.   Next I need to add the sills to the windows and the concrete feature strip (lintels?) above the windows.




Meanwhile, I'm trying to decide if I will leave the windows antique white, or paint them black (or steel grey).  I think the off-white looks a little too "pretty" lol.



No comments:

Post a Comment