Saturday 16 April 2016

Teeny tiny bricks...

And so it begins....

Cutting lots and lots of egg carton bricks, each 10mm x 5mm, for the sake of convenience, although not exactly to scale.  This is what approximately 500 bricks looks like:



Not very impressive is it?! Given I am going to be bricking most of the facade, and all of the sides (!), I am going to need a LOT more bricks.

I've also been trying to sketch a mock up for the facade, but my drawing skills are sadly lacking.  I converted a photo of the Art Deco dollhouse kit to a pencil sketch in a photo-editing program and printed it out, then scribbled a rough idea of what I want on it.

Something like this:


I can't decide if I want bricks or stucco between the windows, to make the facade a little more interesting?  I will do the concrete sills (from balsa wood sticks) and the concrete strips above the windows first, and then see what it looks like.  I think the Men of Letters would have a very understated building, so as to not draw attention to themselves, so I feel that too much decoration would not be in character.

To take a break from brick-making, I undercoated the front and side pieces. I used craft paint, Jo Sonja's Nimbus Grey, as I want to use grey grout for the bricks.



I still can't decide whether to paint the windows off-white or black?  I have seen black on Art Deco buildings, although a creamy yellow is much more common, even on industrial buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment