Saturday 2 April 2016

More Art Deco Exterior Thoughts

I'm still leaning towards a red brick exterior for the Art Deco build. This is probably because most of my exposure to Art Deco buildings in Australia has been via public buildings, such as libraries, hotels, offices and public swimming pools, for example, and nearly all of those have been (are) predominantly red brick.

A nice compromise might be something like this house below, with the feature brick lines, only I would consider using red brick rather than black. Also, I would probably run the lines right above the top of the widows, as my dollhouse windows are larger than these ones.


Source




I am also thinking about the front door. I want to emphasise it in some way, and I can't decide whether I should add a surround, such as the one in the house above (a better view is in the picture below), or a small porch roof, or perhaps some very plain moulding (second picture below).





Either would be fairly simple additions to the dollhouse exterior using basswood or foamboard.  From the point of view of expanding my repertoire (and making the build more interesting), I am leaning towards the former style just so I can have a play with using foamboard :-)

Unlike the above house though, I would keep the flat roof on the kit, but add a small "lip" and a railing around the conservatory area.

Speaking of railings, it is very hard to find anything nice in 1:24 scale, let alone in Art Deco! I am thinking of buying myself a soldering iron and having a go at making something simple myself, for both the outside and the staircases.  All straight lines - it shouldn't be too hard? Famous last words, lol.



No comments:

Post a Comment